Preah Sihanouk factories shut as new Covid cases found

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Preah Sihanouk provincial governor Kouch Chamroeun on May 3 decided to temporarily suspend the operation of two factories in the special economic zone after workers there tested positive for Covid-19. Preah Sihanouk Provincial Administration

The Preah Sihanouk provincial authorities on May 3 decided to temporarily suspend the operation of two factories in the special economic zone after workers there tested positive for Covid-19.

The two factories are WEGC Manufacturing and Cam Icare, located on National Road 4 in Pou Thoeung village in Prey Nop district’s Bit Traing Commune.

Provincial governor Kouch Chamroeun said in a letter dated May 3 that the provincial health department’s emergency response team had tested workers for Covid-19 at both factories, and that two were positive for the disease.

“In order to prevent the spread of Covid-19 to other factory workers, the provincial administration has decided to temporarily suspend the operation of the two factories for four days effective from the date of this notice,” he said.

Chamroeun said that over the next four days the two factory directors will be required to cooperate with the team from the provincial Department of Labor and Vocational Training to find those who were in contact with Covid-19 positive workers and get them tested for the disease by the emergency response team.

Chamroeun said all factory workers and employees were prohibited from entering or leaving the factories.

After being tested on-site, they were then required to stay at home and wait for the release of the test results to be able to resume work.

“In case the factory directors do not follow the instructions, the provincial administration will take action against them in accordance with the law,” Chamroeun said.

According to a report from the Ministry of Health on May 4, Preah Sihanouk had a total of 2,023 positive Covid-19 cases, with 1,165 receiving treatment and six fatalities.

In a separate letter to Stung Treng provincial governor Mom Saroeun on May 3, Chamroeun said a suspended worker at the New Star Shoes Factory in Preah Sihanouk – who is now known to be Covid-19 positive – had escaped from the lockdown zone and was on his way to Stung Treng. This worker had been in indirect contact with 20 other suspended workers at the factory.

“This is intentional acts of non-compliance with the administrative measures set forth in Articles 4 and 10 of the law on the control of Covid-19 and other contagious diseases,” he said.

Chamroeun asked Saroeun to take “very strict” legal action against the worker should they apprehend him in Stung Treng.