‘Gas canisters’ caused blast at school in S’ville


Preah Sihanouk province fire experts have confirmed that a blast at the Don Bosco Technical School was caused by a leak in two gas canisters that had been welded together.

Bou Sothy, the province’s deputy police chief in charge of fire, told The Post that upon inspecting the school after Thursday’s blast, officials found a 15kg canister connected to a 35kg canister that had been used with welding equipment.

“After careful inspection by our experts, the gas explosion was caused by the leakage of gas from one of the cylinders, not lightning,” he confirmed.

According to an official report, the June 7 blast killed a trainer at the school, Seng Sarat, 35, and injured seven others.

On Tuesday, the headmaster, Ouch Sambo, said based on the authorities’ report, the explosion was caused by the improper use of welding tanks, and that new training methods would be used in the future.

Sambo confirmed that staff and students were attending the funeral of Sarat, while repairs to the school have not yet been completed.