Sub-Decree approves $30M for mine clearance

Content image - Phnom Penh Post
Prime Minister Hun Sent visits mine action exhibition during the celebration of 30 years of mine action in Cambodia held on November 22. SPM

The Cambodian government established the ‘Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation’, and released an initial budget of $30 million. Based on the progress of the foundation in 2023, 2024 and 2025, more funds will be added from the national budget and other sources.

In a sub-decree signed by Prime Minister Hun Sen on December 3, the Mine-Free Cambodia 2025 Foundation will be used to clear landmines and unexploded ordnance to support a mine-free Cambodia by 2025.

The financing will be drawn from the budget of the Ministry of Economy and Finance, with the General Department of Finance as the secretariat of this funding.

“The Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) have been assigned the preparation of an action plan for the use of the budget. They will specify locations, the size of the areas to be cleared, a work calendar, and progress reports,” said the sub-decree.

“This action plan is subject to the final decision of the prime minister, as per the requests of the CMAA,” it said, adding that after the action plan is approved by the prime minister, CMAA must make a budget request to the finance ministry.

Hun Sen also permitted Minister of Economy and Finance Aun Pornmoniroth to issue a Prakas detailing the spending procedure for the budget to ensure the efficiency of the foundation.

In July, Hun Sen established the “Samdech Techo Project for Mine Action” to accelerate efforts to make Cambodia mine-free by 2025. So far, over $18 million has been donated by King Norodom Sihamoni, Queen Mother Norodom Monineath Sihanouk and various philanthropists.