A Joint task force, which included the Svay Rieng provincial department of labour and vocational training, has fined over 1,000 Chinese nationals who live and work illegally in Bavet town, the department director Has Bunthy told The Post on Thursday.
He said since the force launched an immigration crackdown on November 11, at least 1,273 Chinese nationals have been found working without valid work permits.
This, he said, was despite them holding a business/ordinary visa (type E) with which foreigners are allowed to seek employment and carry out commercial activities provided they have the relevant permits.
“The authority did not detain any of them. But, we ordered them to pay fines as they violated the Kingdom’s immigration laws."
“Some of them have already paid and signed up for work permits,” he said, adding that the crackdown, which will be completed on December 31, targets foreigners working in casinos, hotels and factories.
Labour department deputy director Ou Sokhoeun said that since early this year, some 11,015 foreigners from 26 nationalities have registered for work permits. More than 8,000 foreigners, he said, worked illegally without permits.
As part of the crackdown, Bavet town police deputy chief Kouy Yoeung said he had already sent all reports of the crackdown to the Ministry of Interior’s labour department.